MAKIN ISLAND RAID
17-18 AUGUST 1942
1. Explain how the Raider concept came into being for the U.S. Marine Corps.
2. Identify the first Commanders of each (2) Raider Battalions.
3. Identify the intent of the 17 August 1942 raid on Makin Island.
4. Select the major characteristics of an Amphibious Raid.
5. Explain the significant results of the Raid on Makin Island.
--1930's: USMC experimenting with new tactical warfighting concepts, such as commando raids.
--Makin Island was planned as a diversionary attack to take pressure off the 1stMarDiv fighting on Guadalcanal.
--America needed some good news from the Pacific theater to boost US morale and confidence.
COMMANDING OFFICERS OF RAIDER BATTALIONS:
1st Raider Bn: LtCol Merritt Edson "Edson's Raiders"
2nd Raider Bn: LtCol Evans Carlson..."Gung Ho"
INTENT OF RAID ON MAKIN ISLAND
1. Diversion from Guadalcanal
2. Destroy known enemy HQ and capture prisoner.
3. Morale boost for America
1. Great morale boost for US
2. Surprise is usually the best tactical advantage
3. Historically, there comes a time in almost every battle that each commander erroneously believes that he is defeated. The one who persists is the one who will win.
4. Raid is a great psychological and tactical tool to defeat the enemy.